CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP w/ avocado & cheddar cheese
Who is as glad as I am that it is FINALLY THE WEEKEND!?
Raise your hand high!! And yes, take a big swig of that coffee… the weekend is FINALLY here!!
And any of you who are out last night for March Madness… lucky you! Your weekend started early! Maybe you need to order a bloody mary instead… 😉
Been there. Don’t you worry.
Any who. I could not be happier that the weekend is here. Has it felt like a long week to anyone else besides me?!
maybe I’m still recovering from this whole daylight’s savings nonsense….
maybe it’s the weather??
Speaking of, what the heck has been happening with this Chicago weather?! One weekend, you tease us with beautiful, almost 70*F temperatures, clear skies and sunshine.
I’ll say it; reminding us why we moved to this city!
Then, the next, we have plunging temperatures into the 30’s with wind advisory warnings.
can i just stay home today??
This ticks me off a little bit. (Hold on… I need to vent.) With such a beautiful weekend we just had weather-wise, I have been enjoying spoiling myself with wide open windows, spring cleaning, walks outside with girlfriends, and treating myself to a few new spring pieces for my closet.
and i was crossing my fingers that i could put my Canada goose away for winter… what a let down!
(I will admit, this thing is the warmest thing alive.)
Upon leaving my condo this morning, a large gust of wind, greets me, smacking me in the face (probably laughing), turning my nicely blow dried hair into one big rats nest.
yes, this is why a pony-tail is usually my go-to… i swear, i live on the windiest corner in Chicago…
Now, with one more cold weekend ahead of us, let’s talk about this Chicken Tortilla Soup. Something about soup to me is so satisfying. It’s filling, but not in a ‘guilty’ way. Clearly, with this chill in the air, I just can’t get enough of these flavors. Garnish with sliced avocado and homemade tortilla strips and oh.my. here we go.
Happy Weekend! And I promise to share my ULTIMATE brunch recipe next week: Goat Cheese & Chive Scrambled Egg Crepes.
honestly, almost too simple to be gushing over… but then again, you’ll try this recipe once, wow your guests, and smile contently as you take all of the well deserved credit. 🙂
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- 1 large drizzle canola oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced, seeds discarded
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- juice of one lime
- flour tortillas, strapped lightly with olive spray or drizzled with olive oil, toasted until crispy, then broken into large pieces
- limes wedges
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh chopped cilantro leaves
- flour tortilla, grilled, toasted and cracked into large pieces
- 1 avocado, pitted, sliced
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Toss in diced onion and cook for 2 minutes. once softened, add jalapeno and continue to cook for a moment. Add all of the chicken stock and can of fired roasted tomatoes. Add chicken breasts. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1/2 hour until chicken is cooked throughout. Remove chicken and shred and set aside.
- Into stock pot of broth, add juice of one lime, can of black beans, and pinch of freshly chopped cilantro.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- When serving, add mound of freshly shredded chicken, pour over hot fire roasted, jalapeno, onion, etc. mixture.
- Serve and top with freshly sliced avocado, toasted flour tortilla, and cilantro.
A few of my favorite ‘cozy’ things: