A great recipe for a light, refreshing summer salad is an essential to be able to whip together for either a grill out, an evening dinner outside, cocktails and appetizers with the girls, or any sort of warm entertaining occasion. Here is one of my favorites that MAH & I made last night.
- 2 ears of corn, cooked, cut away from the cob and cooled
- 2 c. cherry tomatoes, washed and cut in half
- 1 1/2 – 2 Tbl. Of fresh Basil, chopped (I used the fresh basil from my herb plant! Very efficient & fresh!)
- 2 shallots, sautéed in a hot skillet with a little bit of olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- About 1 ½ – 2 Tbl. Olive oil, whisked together with 1 Tbl. Red wine vinegar
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
(Great tip to cooking corn quickly, which I learned from CBH & his mom: shuck the corn and remove all of the unwanted casing. Wrap each ear in a damp paper towel. Toss in the microwave… cook 2 minutes for each ear. Example: in this recipe, we used two ears, so we put them both in the microwave at the same time for 4 minutes, total. Perfectly cooked!)
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cooked corn, tomato halves, basil, and salt and pepper. Toss together. Add sautéed shallots.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together your olive oil and red wine vinegar. Add to corn and tomato mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve, and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.*
*If you are anticipating leftovers, and are going to store the salad in the fridge overnight … grate the parmesan over the already plated dish, and store in fridge without the parmesan.
This recipe is great by its self as a side dish. You can also doctor it up a little bit and create more of a corn dip with it, or even do what MAH & I did last night but taking a slice of fresh baguette, smearing a little chipotle aioli on one side, then topping it with the corn salad. Delicious.