Have you ever invited people over, last minute, on a complete impulse, and have just 100% underestimated you prep time? Well, I have done this on NUMEROUS occasions. Occasions where I have frantically sent CBH to the grocery/local market to pick up last minute items/appetizer or dish cheats/etc. just so I can flawlessly execute our evening.
He has rolled his eyes, but like an amazing fiance, he has tossed a smile on his face, a baseball cap on his head and has duck out in any weather to pick up my missing ingredients.
How did I get so lucky?!
Regardless of all of the entertaining I love to do, I still never learn. I try to cram in that last minute work out class, errand downtown, load of laundry, vacuum, run, etc. and then I’m racing to get my hair washed and ready before guests come over.
luckily most people are fashionably late… 15 – 20 minutes?
Any who, I am known to have a trick or two up my sleeve for a super-speedy appetizer that you can toss together in 15-25 minutes. Here you go! Go for it. Steal it. Claim it as your own. I totally would too!
PROSCIUTTO WRAPPED ASPARAGUS
*Tip: the saltiness of the prosciutto pairs PERFECTLY with the asparagus – no added salt or pepper needed!
- one bunch of asparagus, ends snapped off and discarded
- thinly sliced prosciutto, torn in long, 2-inch wide pieces
- 2 Tbl. olive oil
- Soak asparagus in a cold bath of water for 10 minutes to remove any dirt
- Wrap a piece of torn prosciutto around each asparagus spear
- Heat olive oil in cast iron skillet
- Once hot, add prosciutto wrapped asparagus to hot skillet
- Cook, rolling asparagus around pan occasionally to get all sides crisp - roughly 3-5 minutes
- Remove individually from skillet, blot on paper towel and place on serving platter.
- *Don't over-cook the asparagus! You still want the asparagus to "snap" when taking a bite and be firm. (No one likes soggy asparagus. 😉 )