Ugh, Monday. You’re back like a bad habit.
Once again, the diet begins.
And once again, I can’t pry myself away from the fish monger, as I once again order fish for dinner.
We all know I LOVE fish, and salmon is my go-to when I don’t know what else to cook. Maybe it’s the health benefits, maybe it’s the taste, maybe I just know how good fish is for you, that I feel like it’s a safe bet.
Lately, I have been looking for ways to upgrade our salmon; such as cooking salmon with the skin side up first to obtain a nice sear and crisp. Then flipping the salmon skin side down, then continue to cook through. Even finding new flavors to pair it with. (Although, I normally venture back to some sort of lemon or acidity, as it keeps the fish flavors clean.)
Health benefits of salmon:
- Low in fat, high in protein
- Filled with Omega-3 fatty acid, vitamin D and B2
- Rich in calcium and minerals
- American Heart Association recommends eating fish at least two times a week as part of a healthy diet
Due to how healthy salmon is, I try to find new and delicious ways to serve it. Here is one of my favorites:
GRILLED NAAN, CUCUMBER SALAD w/ SALMON & a SMEAR of DILL LEMON SAUCE
I love sauces. Especially creamy, fatty ones. My waistline, however, does not. Therefore, I continuously turn to Greek yogurt as a great, healthy substitute. This sauce contains Greek yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, fresh dill and a salt and pepper seasoned to taste. How can you not love that combination.
- 2 six-ounce fillets salmon
- whole wheat Naan bread
- lettuce, roughly chopped
- cucumbers, chopped
- cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup total fage greek yogurt
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly chopped dill
- kosher salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- In a small glass bowl, whisk together greek yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Season salmon fillet with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Sear skin side up for 2 minutes, flip and sear skin side down for 2 minutes. Transfer to cooking sheet and pop in oven until cooked fully through; roughly 10-15 minutes
- Meanwhile, grilled Naan bread on grill pan.
- While Naan is grilling, toss together chopped lettuce, chopped cucumbers, and chopped tomatoes.
- Once Naan and Salmon are done grilling, plate.
- Plate grilled Naan, a smear of your lemon dill greek yogurt, cucumber salad, grilled salmon, then a small dollop of more lemon greek yogurt.