Weeknight vegetables are supposed to be quick. simple. healthy. & satisfying.
I try not to spend more than 30 minutes on a side dish for dinner. This timing gives Brandon or myself time to heat the grill, grill the protein and let it rest (if need be). It also gives me a few minutes to set the table, pour drinks and not feel super rushed.
Asparagus. A staple vegetable in our fridge. One reason why I love asparagus so much, not only for it’s health benefits, but also because it lasts in my fridge longer than leafy greens. I place the bottom of the asparagus in a cup with a shallow bit of cold water to store in the fridge. It will keep fresh for up to a few days.
This asparagus recipe is about as easy as it gets – therefore it requires minimal ingredients you most likely already have in your kitchen. Thank you, Tyler Florence.
Salmon and asparagus pair beautifully together (along with a crisp cold glass of white wine 😉 ), hence, I serve this with honey mustard and toasted pecan topped salmon, which was oh-so-satisfying.
- 1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, sliced very thin
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Using a brown paper lunch bag, place asparagus in bag. Add lemon slices, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Close bag, folding edge multiple times to seal closed to hold steam in.
- Place closed bag on baking sheet. Drizzle bag with olive oil to prevent bag burning.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Using a pairing knife, slice bag open on top. Drizzle asparagus with olive oil.
- Serve hot.
- 2 6-ounce portions of fresh salmon
- honey mustard
- chopped pecans
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- Heat the grill to a medium-high heat - roughly 400*F
- - Rinse and pat salmon filets dry, and place on small greased grill pan (the grill pan will get placed directly on the grill to avoid losing fish and topping down the grates on the grill)
- - Drizzle with olive oil
- - Season with a sprinkling of kosher salt
- - Smear top of salmon with honey mustard
- - Sprinkle with chopped pecans
- - Add one more light pinch of salmon
- Place on hot grill until internal temperature reaches 145*F
- Remove from grill and serve hot