I have always been a big lentil person.
Let me correct myself… I have ALWAYS been a big dip person.
Ok, I’ll just flat out be blunt and admit that French onion dip is probably one of my biggest downfalls. Ever. Hand me a bag of Cape Cod chips & rich, creamy French onion dip and I can polish off the entire thing. No, I am not kidding. And yes, I’ve had the stomachaches and horrible guilt to prove it.
Now, back to the lentils.
Yes, I have always liked lentils. I thought that if I could turn them into a healthy substitute for a snack (without the guilt), I’d be even more infatuated. I would guiltlessly overindulge to the max.
I feel like I have been doing that lately… trying to turn a guilty pleasure into something healthy and equally as satisfying.
Voila, Black Lentil Dip.
Satisfying, delicious, guilt-free.
The two best things about this dip? You can eat as much as you like (if you serve this with vegetables). AND you can make it ahead of time. OH! And let’s not forget, it’s SUPER simple!
Ok, one more great thing about this dip – all of the ingredients are easily storable, therefore you can make this whenever you’d like.
A total win! (If I’m allowed to say that. 😉 )
- 1 cup cooked black lentils (over cook your lentils. you want these entirely mushy)
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbl olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion poder
- 5 Tbl. room temperature water
- Vegetables for serving (& warm naan bread if you'd like)
- Grind cooked lentils in your food processor
- Add lime juice
- Add a pinch of salt, garlic powder, and onion powder
- Grind to blend
- Add olive oil a little at a time, along with water, grinding as you incorporate. Make sure you watch the consistency. You want a dip-like consistency... not too runny nor too dry!
- Continue to add olive oil and water until desired consistency
- Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper
- Serve with a variety of crunchy vegetables